Common Household Items That Are Poisonous to Your Dog

  • Blog >
  • Common Household Items That Are Poisonous to Your Dog
RSS Feed

Common Household Items That Are Poisonous to Your Dog


Dogs are often curious creatures that are always ready to sample a new substance to see what it tastes like. Unfortunately, this impulse can lead them into trouble when they ingest toxic substances that can be life-threatening. At Ashworth Road Animal Hospital of West Des Moines, we experience emergency cases of dogs consuming harmful products. While we try everything to save the dog's life, we are here to help ensure this incident doesn't happen in the first place. Here are some common household products to watch out for, considering they are poisonous to your dog.

Cleaning Products

While cleaning products are pivotal in keeping surfaces bacteria-free, they can pose a serious threat to your dog. The chemical components (like bleach) used in cleaning products can kill dogs within few hours.

One way you can safeguard your dog from these harmful products is by barring your dog from interacting with the cleaned surfaces until the cleaning detergents have dried up. Keeping these products away from the dog's reach is pivotal in safeguarding your animal.

Chocolate

You may assume that any food that is safe for human consumption is good for your dog. However, chocolate is poisonous to your dog. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is to your canine. Chocolates contain methylxanthine that is poisonous to dogs, resulting in health complications like irregular breathing, vomiting, hyperactivity, and seizures.

To ensure that chocolates are out of reach from your dog, tuck them away in a safe place they cannot get into.

Medicine

Human medicine could contain potent drugs and chemicals that could be lethal to your dog. Acetaminophen in Tylenol causes difficulties in breathing and irreparable liver damage. As a rule of thumb, keep all forms of medicine away from your dog's reach. 

If you are not sure if the medicine your dog ate could be poisonous, call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC), 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435. A consultation fee may apply. 

Contact Us for Emergency Vet Care from Our Team in West Des Moines

At Ashworth Road Animal Hospital, we provide various treatment options to help your dog after ingesting something poisonous. If you live in or around the West Des Moines area and your animal is suffering from ingesting poison, our team is here to help. Contact our team immediately for effective veterinary care.

Our Location

HOURS OF OPERATION

West Des Moines Office

Monday

8:00 am - 6:00 pm

Tuesday

8:00 am - 6:00 pm

Wednesday

8:00 am - 6:00 pm

Thursday

8:00 am - 6:00 pm

Friday

8:00 am - 6:00 pm

Saturday

8:00 am - 12:00 pm

Sunday

Closed

West Des Moines Office

Monday
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tuesday
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wednesday
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Friday
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Saturday
8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Sunday
Closed